Hello my dears!
It's time for my monthly Birchbox "Haul" or "Box Opening" post! As ya'll may know, I subscribe to Birchbox which is a monthly sample subscription ($10 per month) from Birchbox.com. Every month, I get a wonderful package delivered right to my door sometime between the 10th and 15th filled with 4-5 deluxe samples. The samples are all beauty related: skincare, makeup, hair care, fragrance, and also a little "birchbox treat" which varies monthly. Each box has a "theme" and comes beautifully wrapped. It is like getting a little present in the mail every month!
To read more about how Birchbox works, please see my Birchbox Introduction Post. Curious as to what I got other months? Then click these: Jan 2011 Birchbox, Feb 2011 Birchbox, and March 2011 Birchbox.
As a beauty-blogger and general "all things beauty"-fanatic! Birchbox is an ideal program for me! If you are curious to read what I got this month, then just keep reading after the jump for photos and more info!
Box Opening "Haul" and First Impressions: Birchbox "goes green" for Earth Day!
When I say green, I mean literally! I knew something was up the minute I opened my mailbox to find a GREEN, not the trademark Pink, Box! I had a feeling that the contents would reveal some eco-friendly products.
Well, I was right, and not only did Birchbox include environmentally conscious products, but they are implementing many eco-conscious business practices that make me love Birchbox just that much more!
Here are some of their current and new eco-friendly practices:
- Did you know that every component of the Birchbox packaging is is recyclable? Birchbox asked what Birchboxers are using their old Birchboxes for: Me? I am re-using them for doing makeup swaps (with a close friend, "waving" to Lisa!) and creating "Pammy Boxes" for my friends! I find that the size is great for makeup and skincare sample storage. Also, with a love of crafting, I decorate them with art paper or collages and decoupage them!
- Birchbox reminds us in the April postcard that by sampling products before we purchase them, we are wasting less. If we don't like the product, then there is little waste. Sampling is always a great idea before making a purchase. Remember, you can ask for tons of samples every time you go to Sephora or any makeup counter! If you are consuming, be an educated consumer! :)
- Birchbox has added articles and videos on their site to inspire us to be more mindful consumers.
- In honor of Earth Day, Birchbox partnered with EcoFabulous to make this month's box green from the inside out. Apparently the Birchbox is now (as will future boxes be) "carbon neutral". This means that they are implementing practices to offset the carbon emissions from the shipping of this box. I am not quite sure how they are doing this, but they clearly stated that as a new mission! Way to go Birchbox!!!
So, now on to the "stuff"!
April 2011 Birchbox: Ecofriendly Product Samples:
- Juice Beauty, Green Apple Peel (full size, $45): This is a nice size sample! Thanks Birchbox! You get .5 oz of product in a squeeze tube. I have never tried anything from Juice Beauty, so I am excited to try this alpha/beta organic peel.
- LIV GRN, Earth Eau de Parfum (Full size, $60): This came in your typical perfume vial sample on a card. I wish I could tell you more about the scent, but I am under the weather and can't smell! (sorry! also the reason why there is no video this month)
- Weleda, Wild Rose Smoothing Facial Lotion (Full size, $28): I have always been curious about this brand! Glad to see this in the box too! The card states that this organic lotion contains antioxidants and vitamins. Sample is .17 fl oz. It comes in a box and the tube is metal. It is well sealed which is always good for keeping the antioxidants fresh!
- Zoya, Nail Polish in Caitlin (Full Size, $8): OMG!!! A nail polish!!! Whoo-hoo!!! As many of you may know, I am a total nut when it comes to polish! I *heart* it! Funny, in my last month's Birchbox feedback, I told them I really would like to see more makeup samples, especially nailpolish...and then this showed up in this months box! LOL, yes, maybe they were planning on this anyway; but, I like to think that they "listened". My fellow Birchboxers: Did you get a polish too??? I literally did a little squeal when I opened the box to find this cute polish. What a pretty grayish-lavendar shade. I can't wait to test this! Love that Zoya polish is ecofriendly! I have really wanted to explore this brand! Included in the box is a wonderful product insert from Zoya with plastic tips with "shades" to try on (do you know what I am talking about? Those clear tips that you can swatch polish on). There is also a catalog. I can't wait to browse through it! Yay!!!
- Juice Beauty Foil Packet Sample of Stem Cellular Repair Eye Treatment: Thanks Birchbox! I always take these little foil eye cream samples with me on vacation! So, I will save this for my next weekend away.
- Birchbox Extra: Bloomin Seed Paper: Okay, this is so stinkin' cute! It is a little piece of paper that has wildflower seeds in it. Just put it in soil and water! I can't wait to do this! As a daughter of an organic gardener (My Dad Gardens as a hobby, not a profession), I LOVE to plant flowers and veggies. Too darn cute!!! I can't wait to see what pops up from the soil! :)
All-in-all, I am loving this months "green-themed" box! As a tree-hugging earth-loving hippie at heart, I appreciate not only Birchbox's efforts with a "green" Birchbox, but also their strive to make more eco-concious business decisions. Practices like these make for lifelong fans and customers like me! Birchbox, could we maybee look for a cruelty-free Birchbox in the future as well?
My fellow Birchboxers, did you get yours yet? Whatcha' get in yours?
Sending Peace and Love to all my readers in Honor of Earth Day!