Picture me blogging here! :)
I am just thrilled with how everything turned out! I have a new desk with plenty of storage drawers and storage baskets for office supplies and the beauty products that I am reviewing. I now have organized areas for products needing to be photographed, needing to be tested, and needing to be reviewed. I test out and review so many products. It is absolutely essential for me to be organized! My previous system was my laptop on the kitchen table and baskets of products throughout the house, lol! This is so much better!
In addition to this beauty office area, I also have a vanity area in the bedroom. Most of the products that I am currently testing are in my vanity area. I did not include a picture of the vanity area just yet as it is now in the process of being re-organized! Check back in a few weeks as I will post pictures of that area when it is completed!
I just love my new beauty office area! Not only is the new beauty desk area great for blogging, but it also helps me to stay organized with my Stay-at-Home Mommy household management work. I even have a drawer just for coupons! :)
- Laptop! I love using a laptop for blogging!!! :) While I am planning on doing a lot of blogging in my new office area, I love the freedom of being able to blog anywhere in the house! :)
- White-Board: You will notice my white board calendars in the top left of the photo (pink and zebra of course!). I schedule all of my blog post on these white boards. I have an old skool system of sticky notes and dry erase markers. I schedule the post on the sticky note, and then when the post is written, I write it on with the dry erase marker and throw out the sticky note. If the review is a monthly series (like my MAC Matters Challenge), I just transfer the sticky to the next month. I like using dry erase markers as sometimes I do have to move posts around. I use two white board calendars because I usually have to do a "long lead" and schedule my posts 4-6 weeks ahead of time. I have been using this system for about 8 months and it is really working well! I get 100s of PR emails a week. The only way for me to stay organized is to stay on top of emails, schedule posts, and write everything down!
- In-Coming Bin: (Striped Bin to the Right): I need a spot to put items as soon as I get them! As soon as I open an item from the mail or empty a bag from shopping, I place the item in this bin to be photographed. After it has been photographed, I then transfer the item to my review area for product testing (either my vanity area for testing if it is a makeup item, or my bathroom for bath/body, shower, hair, or skincare).
- Review Bin: (Striped Bin in the middle of desk): This bin houses all of my items that have already been tested. These are items that are ready to be reviewed! When I have time in my busy week to blog, I just grab an item out of this bin and start writing. I often include sticky notes on the items with specific thoughts from my product testing. Yes, lol, I love sticky notes! :)
- Discover Your Best Time of Day for Writing!!! I am most creative and clear headed in the early morning after my first cup of coffee. On a typical day, I wake up early (before the baby!). After answering a few emails and downing my much-needed 1st cup of coffee, I start blogging! I write very efficiently in the mornings. Usually, I write about 2 posts before anyone else in the house is awake! Photo editing is an ongoing process. I edit photos here and there throughout the day and add them to my posts. My goal is always to focus on my baby girl during the day and edit when she is down for naps or after she is in bed at night.
- Makeup Mirror: I have a makeup mirror with a light here in my beauty office as well as on my vanity. That way I can always double check a product as I am writing up my review. Even if I have extensive notes from my product testing, I always like to actually have the product "on" as I am writing about it. So, I love having a makeup mirror on my beauty desk! :)
- Lighting: I have multiple options for lighting on my desk. Two square 40 watt bulb lights and the light on my makeup mirror. There is also a large window in the office for natural light, an overhead light, and I have a larger desk lamp that I whip out of the closet when I need it. In addition, I have a plastic bin in the closet with 3 different kinds of lamps and white cardboard for my blog photography.
- Lots of drawer space! I got a little rolling unit with 6 drawers for underneath my desk. I hold PR paperwork as well as office supplies in those drawers.
- Weekly To-Do Lists: I make to-do lists like a maniac! Most of my to-do lists are on the notes app on my phone. However, I also like a weekly hard copy version or white board version posted to my desk area. I really like being able to glance at my week to see what needs to be done ahead of time. I especially like it for scheduling special events in my life as well as to help keep track of important blog stuff like Makeup Wars posts, link submissions, giveaways, and sponsored posts. Oh, and this is just really for blogging and Mommy tasks. Household and Family-related to-dos are posted on my fridge! :)
Thanks for reading!