The Skinny on MyGlam:
The concept with MyGlam is very similar to Birchbox. You pay $10 per month for a cosmetic bag aka "the Glam Bag" filled with 4-5 delux sized beauty samples. The MyGlam site has tutorial videos featuring products from the Glam Bag. When you sign up, you take a beauty profile quiz. But, it dosn't seem that the bags are customized from your beauty profile. Everyone gets the same bag each month. You can also upload your own videos on the MyGlam site to feature yourself using your bag.
Do I really need 2 sample subscriptions? Probably not, but I have been so happy with Birchbox that I just wanted to give MyGlam a shot too! Especially after hearing some of the previous month's hyped bags with full-sized "samples". When I went to sign up a couple months ago, I got wait listed. This only increased my anticipation! Another factor influencing my decision: MyGlam was founded by some popular YouTube Beauty "Gurus" (lol, that terminology totally bugs me). So, I felt joining was "supporting the beauty community" on YouTube! You know, I have to give these girls props for making a career out of beauty!
To see my February 2012 Glam Bag opening and hear my first impressions (including comparisons to Birchbox), please keep reading after the jump.
The biggest surprise to me? The MyGlam bags are not personalized. From what I gather from the website and some other reviews? Everyone got the same bag? I am a bit let down here. Especially since most of the products included in my GlamBag do not work with my skin type. Bummer!!! Not to mention that I prefer makeup samples over skincare samples anyway. I am just much more picky about skincare (and easier to please with makeup samples). While Birchbox is also heavy on the skincare samples, at least those samples work for my skin type. Also, the skincare brands that Birchbox samples appeal to me more.
The Theme: Valentine's Day
While I appreciate that this bag has a theme (lets face it, I dig things like that!), it falls a little flat since this bag arrived after Valentines Day. Now, I don't know if the bag will always come this late in the month. Or if their shipments just got behind? I know that this company is new and experiencing some growing pains. So, I will cut them a little slack for that. From keeping up with their facebook page, I know that last month's shipments were a bit of a debacle. But, that is in the past and, at least on my end, the shipment was smooth. I got an email confirmation right before the package arrived.
So, with all that said, lets get into what was actually included in my bag. I know if you are like me and read a lot of reviews, the contents of this bag are no suprise. But, I will also give you my first impressions of each item.
In the Intro post card, MyGlam reminds us that Valentine's Day can be significant whether you have a special date or if you are having a fun girls' night out instead.
- The Glam Bag Itself: The Glam Bag is a cute pink zippered makeup bag with black hearts. From my understanding, there is a new cute bag each month. While I don't really "need" another makeup bag, this one is super cute. I love the hearts! I will totally use this for something. I always find good uses for these things.
- X-Out Shine Control: (.75 oz sample, I don't see a retail price for this, but a face wash is $19.95 plus s/h for the kit including the X-Out shine control mattifier): This is a mattifying shine control moisturizer. As I mentioned in the post above, I have normal-dry skin. Shine is not an issue for me. So, I will not ever use this product. I will pass it on to a friend. What a bummer!!! But, with that said, the size of this sample is great .75 fl oz. So, if you have oily skin, this is a great sample in this month's bag. Stay flawless and shine free with this oil-free moisturizer with a mattifying complex.
- NYX Roll-On Shimmer in Green: (full sized sample: .052 oz, retails for $4.50) I am VERY excited about this *full size* sample!!! Whoo-hoo! I am a huge NYX fan. Actually, the fact that MyGlam featured NYX samples in their bags is one of the reasons that I signed up in the first place. This is a pretty aqua green pigment powder. Can be used on eyes, face, or body (but really this color is more of an eye shadow color). NYX brand new, intensely rich, shimmering powder that can be applied to the eyes, face, and body.
- Premier Dead Sea "Cinderella Mask" and sample: (1 tiny .07 fl oz foil samples of the Instant Stretching and Revitalizing Mask plus another foil sample of the Concentrated Facial Serum, full size retails for $149.00): This is a *tiny* sample...possibly not even enough for a full face mask. This would be cute as an "extra" in the Glam Bag, but certainly *not* a deluxe sized sample! Plus, whew, the full sized mask is *pricey*! I honestly hope that I don't fall in love with this expensive mask! Luxury Skincare rich in life-enhancing minerals from the Dead Sea waters.
- NuMe Professional Styling Tools and Hair Extensions $100.00 "gift card": When word leaked of a "gift card", I got excited. $100 is a great deal towards a NuMe product. But, if you are not familiar with the brand, the styling tools are very expensive (most items retail for over $100). I personally love NuMe tools! Check out a previous review that I did of a NuMe tool: NuMe Mini Flat Iron. I would love to get a travel hair dryer soon. So, I might just look into NuMe's tools again. Hair tools that will revolutionize your everyday look.
- Freeman Facial Masks: Pineapple Enzyme Mask (.5 fl oz sample, full size is $10.00 for 3 large 6 oz tubes): Since this is an expensive mask, I wish that it had come in a full sized! Oh well! I love Freeman products. Actually, check out my Freeman Review! Anyways, I will certainly use this mask. Turn your date night prep-time into a soothing spa experience with easy-to-use skin-perfecting masks.
- Extra: Ghirardelli Chocolates: I do love the extra! What girl doesn't love Ghirardelli chocolates! Yum!!!
Will I continue with MyGlam?
Honestly, I am a bit let down with this month's GlamBag. But, those of you who know me personally or through reading my blog know that at my very core, I am an optimist. So, while this month's bag doesn't thrill me, next month's might! But, I did like some items. I just wish that My Glam had paid more attention to my beauty survey to choose skincare that works for my skin type. I wanted this bag to be personalized. But, it seems as if everyone gets the same bag (please correct me if I am wrong?). I know that this company is new and experiencing growing pains. As those shake out, I hope the bags improve. But, at the same time, I do want to get a great value for my $10 monthly subscription. So, I won't go too long before deciding. There is a new sample subscription from Allure magazine that I got an early invite for. If I don't stick with MyGlam, I might check that out. Or just stick with Birchbox!