The idea for this series came to me when I was reviewing a recent sample box subscription. Why take the gamble with paying a monthly fee for products that I might (or might not) like? When you are only paying $10 per month, it really is no big deal. However, when you look at some of the more expensive sample subscription services, you can see the money add up so much quicker. When I pay $21.00 per month for a sample subscription, I really need to LOVE the products!
I realized that my money really could be better spent! I can buy a MAC item every month for less than that and you know what? I know that I will like it! When I looked at what I spent on some of my sample services over time, I realized that I wasn't getting a lot of products that I truly loved. Sure, the experience is super fun and I got introduced to a lot of new brands...but, I didn't end up with a lot of products that I am totally in love with.
I still love participating and reviewing sample boxes! I just needed to cut back a bit. I don't need 3 sample box subscriptions. So, I cancelled the most expensive one, GLOSSYBOX, and decided to spend the money on this monthly MAC Challenge instead! Don't get me wrong though, I still love GLOSSYBOX! It was fun and I certainly recommend it if you are looking to get a sample subscription. However, I am limiting my makeup spending and I just need to be a bit more purposeful with how I spend.
So, I cancelled GLOSSYBOX and this MAC Matters Challenge was born. Now, I am a still a bit of a beauty sample box lover. So, I decided to keep my very affordable Birchbox subscription ($10 per month) and my Julep Maven nail themed beauty box subscription ($20.00 per month, which is higher, but I honestly use every single item that I get in my Julep boxes. So, I feel that the money is not going to waste).
MAC is the quintessential line for professional quality makeup basics! MAC has just about everything that you could want. The selection is amazing! Often, MAC is the makeup line that gets people started with makeup collecting. MAC is a great brand for this challenge. You can certainly build a fabulous core collection of makeup staples from this line. Plus, for a department store brand, the prices are really affordable and mid-range. You can easily build a great collection with this brand in a years time while spending less than $21 per month!
If you are reading this and get inspired, I would love for you to join me in this challenge! After reading my MAC Matters Intro Post, my fellow Beauty Blog Coalition and Metro Atlanta Beauty Bloggers member Quinn from Mama Fashionista decided that she wanted to join in too! So, be sure to follow her version of this series too! We are having so much fun with this!!! If you do a MAC Matters post on your own blog, please leave a link in the comments below!
So, how does this MAC Matters Challenge work?
Build a MAC Collection using an average of $21.00 per month:
- Purchase at least one item a month: If the item is under $20, save the remainder for the next month. While there are many items priced under $20, there are plenty that are over the $20 range that can be "saved" for.
- Do a monthly blog posts for one year to share what you get. Lets see what kind of core collections we can build in a years time!
- To coordinate with my "Build a Core MAC Collection" purchases, I will also be posting "MAC Matters: From the Stash" reviews! These "stash" items are MAC items that I love that are already in my makeup collection. Some months, I will be "saving" my $21 to go towards a bigger MAC purchase. This is when you will most likely see the "stash" posts. Or, I might include a "stash" item mini review within my "Build a Core MAC Collection" posts because if you are reading this because you want to build your own MAC collection, you might enjoy reading about what I am already using and loving!
- If this series is popular, I will repeat the series with another brand upon completion of 12 months with MAC. There are already discussions as to what the next brand challenge should be! I think a drugstore line could be fun! Maybe NYX? It could be the "NYX Fix"! ;)
- If you decide to join this challenge: Please be sure to include a link back to my blog in your post crediting me as the creator of this challenge! :) Also, feel free to send me your links to your MAC Matters posts that I can include in my monthly postings.
My purchase this month was an easy decision! It was an item that has been on my MAC wishlist for a long time: MAC Well Dressed Blush!
If you are new to my blog, you might not know this: I am obsessed with blush. For real! ;) It is the makeup item that I tend to gravitate towards. A great blush just makes me feel pretty! A flattering blush can just do so much for you. Maybe it is just because I smile when I apply it to get the placement right: that process, in turn, makes me happy, lol! I know, I am certainly a bit of a fanatic! You blush lovers out there know exactly what I mean!
MAC Well Dressed is a satin finish cool toned light pink blush with just a hint of a sheen. This gives a lovely and natural pop of soft pink color to my very fair skin (NC 15 in Studio Fix). Well Dressed makes a great "everyday" blush! It is incredibly easy to wear. I think that this blush suits fair-medium cool-neutral skin tones (but might be too light for darker skin). I think that this is absolutely the perfect blush for makeup beginners as it is so easy to apply! You really can't over-do this blush.
Remainder from Previous Months: $4.95
Total Available to Spend: $25.95
MAC Well Dressed Blush: $20.00
Remainder: $1.00 plus previous remainder ($4.95)= $5.95
My MAC Matters Core Collection:
November 2012: MAC Syrup Lipstick
December 2012: MAC Well Dressed Blush
Even though I just purchased this blush, I can already tell that it will be a well-loved favorite for years to come!
This challenge is so fun! I am already thinking about what I might get for next month's MAC Matters Challenge. I am thinking a 4-pan palette and one pan shadow? So far in this challenge I have gotten a lipstick and now a blush. So, I am thinking eye shadow is next! Any recommendations?
*Be sure to check out my fellow bloggers who have joined in the Challenge! Virginia from Siren Beauty and Quinn from Mama Fashionista.
As always, thanks for reading! I <3 you all!