"Smashbox Week" Continues!!!
Hello there my lovely readers! Thank you for joining me for Part 2 of my 3-part series of posts reviewing the Smashbox All Day Beauty Kit. This review will cover the "PM" items which are the Color Cosmetics included in the kit (Eyeshadow Trio, Blush Bronzer Duo, and Lip Gloss). This kit also contains 2 "look" photos with tips and ideas about how to take your makeup look from day-to-night. If you are interested in reading Part 1 of this series please click here.
Even though these items are in the PM section of the cosmetics bag, there is no question that these makeup items are all daytime appropriate! I find all the shades in this kit to be timeless and classic shades that would flatter a variety of skin tones.These shades are primarily matte and neutral. But, as the kit suggests, you can just take the look from day-to-night based on how you apply the product. Wow, what flattering shades!!! I literally love everything in this kit! I think all these shades, when worn together give a very classic and professionally appropriate look. If you smoke the eyes out a little more...there is your night-time look!
Blush/Bronzer Duo: Soft Lights Duo in AM/PM
Okay readers, you know me, the queen of the tangent. Well, here is one for you before we dive into this review. As you may know, I ordered this kit online. When this box arrived from Ulta I was so excited to open it!!! I set up good lighting and immediately started snapping photos! Well, to my dismay, I opened up the zippered cosmetics case to find the blush and bronzer had shattered! This was right before Christmas when reaching a customer service rep online or on the phone was very difficult. So, I just decided to deal with a return after the holidays in the actual Ulta store. Well, I am happy to report that the return ended up being no problem at all. Luckily, my local Ulta had a couple more All Day Beauty Kits in stock and I was able to just swap out the whole kit. But, I am telling you...it was so hard to resist starting to use these products right away! I hated having to wait! :)
Back to the review...
I am so happy with this beautiful blush duo. At first glance, I thought...hmm, this might be a bit too dark for my fair skin. Well, I was wrong about that! The blush is a beautiful medium bronzy rose-toned blush. There is some shimmer in the pan, but on the face it looks like a matte blush. I tend gravitate more towards pinky/peach light or bright blushes, so this shade was a nice change of pace. This blush really warms up my skin tone! I just feel elegant and professional with this blush on.
The bronzer I use in conjunction with the blush. I apply in the typical bronzer "3" pattern with a kabuki brush. I use a light hand as this is a nicely pigmented bronzer. As expected, the blush and bronzer pair together beautifully. The bronzer itself has some gold shimmer in it that is just slightly detectable on the skin, but most of the shimmer does not transfer to the skin. Lovely finish! Smashbox really got the color combo right with this duo!
The Eye Shadow Trio in Day-to-Date:
- This just might be my favorite item in this whole set!!! With my cool coloring and blue eyes, these shadows are just the ideal shades for me!!! I am such a fan of taupes!!!
- These are great quality eye shadows. They apply and blend like a dream and are not the least bit powdery. Great pigmentation! Effortless application.
- I love the light beige color as a highlight (somewhat similar to MAC Vanilla, inner corner, and or lid color. The Medium shade is beautiful taupe. I love this in the crease. And the dark shade is a lovely plummy dark brown which makes a perfect liner shade, outer corner color, or smoke shade. Seriously, just beautiful. When I wear shades like this, I just feel pulled together. Really, as I mentioned earlier, the shades in this kit are just so darn "wearable". Love, love, love this trio!!!
- This little trio will continue to get heavy use. And, what a fantastic size for travel. All the shades you need for a complete eye look! I am so happy with this trio that I would like to investigate more Smashbox shadows in the future. There is no question that I would purchase this trio on its own!
Lip Enhancing Gloss in Scoop:
- This is a beautiful sheer color high shine pink tinted gloss with iridescent micro shimmer. The shimmer does not look sparkly on the lips. Just a high gloss shine.
- Great texture on this gloss! It glides on the lips and feels smooth not sticky. Really, an ideal texture here, IMHO! My lips feel very comfortable and moisturized with this on.
- This sheer color would look great on any skin tone as it really applies clear (especially on my highly pigmented lips). It looks like a medium slightly cool toned pink in the tube.
- The scent is extremely subtle with a hint of vanilla. The packaging is sleek and elegant. I like the rubbery feel of the lid and I am always a fan of square tubes (less rolling around on the counter, lol!). The gloss applies with an in-tube brush applicator.
- All in all, love this gloss! This is the type of gloss that you can just keep in your purse at all times as it is so neutral and sheer that it would really look great with any makeup look either on its own for a sheer and natural look or over just about any lipstick for a shine boost.
As always, thanks so much for reading!
As I am slowly falling in love with Smashbox products, I would love to hear what you readers have tried from this brand. I am totally amazed at the amount of products that I got in this kit. What an amazing value with this Ulta exclusive! How many times do you get a kit or a GWP and you hardly wear any of the items? Not the case with this set! Smashbox did a great job selecting the items for this kit! They are all "keepers" for me!
Stay tuned for Part 3 of "Smashbox Week": All Day Beauty Kit Series: The Free Gift (Travel Brush set with Case)!