Is it cold enough for you beauties?
I don't know about ya'll, but this weather is really drying out my lips! I love this time of year for the holiday season; but not for the dry lips! And, LOL...I know, I know... I live in the Southern, US. So, its not usually *that* cold...but, it's pretty darn cold for *me* (and was 15 degrees this morning)! So, our heat is cranking, the fire has been going, and I have been taking showers with very hot water (bad for the drying out the skin, but it feels *so good* in this cold weather!). So, with that said, Its time to break out the "big guns" as far as lip moisturizers, lip treatments, and lip exfoliators! So, I will share with you some of my current faves in my lip care "arsenal" of products! :)
I literally have balms and lip moisturizers scattered all about my house and office as well as in my purse and my car. LOL! I know, I am a nut! But, when my lips are dry and uncomfortable, I want to be able to have a balm within arms reach. If I have one on hand, and apply frequently, then hopefully I can ward off those pesky dry lips this time of year.
I truly do use a wide variety of lip products. When I am testing a product, I use that exclusively. Otherwise, I use an assortment. Some of my lip products are slick and moisturizing while other are more like a balm. On days that I am going for a "natural" bare-lip look, I prefer something more moisturizing. As a base for lipstick, I prefer a waxier balm.
My Lip Care Arsenal:
The "Slick" Products (these moisturize and protect well, but are a bit too "slick" to be a good lipstick base):
- Good ole Vaseline Petroleum Jelly: What a great and basic mulit-purpose product. Love this for skin irritations and for my lips. I keep a jar of this in our bathroom medicine cabinet and pretty much apply with a q-tip anytime I am feeling my lips get extra dry. Petroleum creates a barrier on your lips that seals in moisture allowing dry lips to heal and protecting your lips from the elements.
- Smith's Rosebud Salve: Another "classic" all-purpose product that works great as a lip moisturizer. With a petroleum base, this is very similar to Vaseline in it's result. But, the Smith's Rosebud salve has an *adorable* retro tin, a pink "tint" (not visible on my lips but visable in the product), and a light/slightly perfume-y floral/powdery scent. I love keeping this cute tin on my nightstand. I think the scent is just heavenly. It makes me *want* to apply this product!
- evolution of smooth alms (eos balms): I love these cute balms! I keep them everywhere: in my purse, at work, and all over the house! LOL! These waxy balms are adorably packaged in a little sphere which makes them easy to find when digging about in your purse or looking around your house for a balm. They taste great! Please see my previous eos review here. The waxy base makes these an ideal base coat for lipstick (and the best lipstick base of this little group of balms that I am listing). Some are formulated with SPF which is something I always look for when wearing product outside.
- Softlips Lip Protectant (in Vanilla): SPF 20: Another great waxy balm that protects the lips from chapping. These are great for the pockets as they are so slim! I can keep one in my pocket at work. Being a speech therapist, I have a constant focus on my "mouth" while modeling speech productions, so I want to keep those lips smooth and moisturized! The SPF is always an added bonus. I love the Vanilla taste/scent.
- Aveeno Active Naturals Essential Moisture Lip Conditioner with SPF 15: This one is certainly one of my favs in the "balm-family". It seems slightly more moisturizing that then others (and less waxy) with great added ingredients such as jojoba oil and shea butter. I find the scent very appealing as well.
- ChapStick Ultra Renewal Nighttime Formula: This is my "overnight" lip treatment. I alternate using this and Smith's Rosebud Salve at night time. I keep this in the little drawer in my nightstand so that I don't forget to apply. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this product. It seems to work well as an overnight lip treatment; but, the smell/scent of this product is *terrible*! I am not even sure that I have words to describe it (lol, me at a loss for words?...rare!). :) So, I will continue to use this until I find something that smells and tastes better. But, this does work well for overnight lip protection.
- Lush Bubblegum Lip Scrub: This is my favorite product in this entire post!!! This delicious Bubblegum scented/flavored lip treatment is amazing ya'll!!! I am "new" to the LUSH brand and am so pleased with everything that I have tried so far from LUSH. You may remember me posting this product in a recent haul. This is a standout product for sure! The Bubblegum lip scrub is basically a sugar scrub with a nice bubblegum flavor. For those of you familiar with the LUSH brand, it is the "Snow Fairy" fragrance. You just lightly scrub onto your lips with your finger and can wipe off (or actually "eat" the product! It is vegan and, I believe, also organic). The product also contains jojoba oil, so it leaves your lips nice and moisturized. I follow with a lip balm or moisturizer as well. LOVE this one!!! And...its PINK!!! ;)
Battling & Treating Winter-dry Hands: My Fav Hand Lotions