Hello lovelies! Here I am with another review. Hate to say it, cause I do love Rimmel, but this product is only "so-so" or "meh" for me. Don't love it, don't hate it. So, here is my review for Rimmel Lash Accelerator.
I admit, I was drawn in by the commercials and the print add with Zooey Dechanel and her fab lashes (lucky girl! You know those are natural!). I mean, who wouldn't want to try a mascara that will actually make your lashes healthier and longer! I am sure the technology will be there soon for a good treatment/mascara in one...but, this is not it ya'll. At least not in my experience so far.
Background: I have very thin/sparse mid length blondish lashes. I was not one naturally blessed with thick lush lashes. I look for my mascaras to be both thickening and lengthening as I need both. With my lashes being dark blond...I am never without mascara...otherwise you wouldn't be able to "see" my lashes well. :)
This mascara claims to: "Make lashes appear 117% longer in 30 days". It has "AVEC Grow Lash Complex" (whatever that is!). It also claims to make lashes appear 80% longer instantly.
I tested this product for almost three weeks before reviewing. This is possibly not enough time to for this mascara to live up to its lash-growing claims (the package states 30 days). But, honestly, I didn't want to test it for much longer as this product smudges/smears *way* too much underneath my eyes. I almost gave up on this after a week...but, as the formula dried out a bit, I noticed that it started to wear a bit better and smudge less. Many times it seems as if a mascara hits its "peak", if you will, about mid way through owning it. When the formula has dried out enough to be easier to work with? This may be the case with this mascara.
As far as the smudging, nothing bugs me more than having mascara smear under my eyes after all my best effort to cover my dark under eye circles! When I try to wipe off my smudges...I end up wiping off all that painstakingly applied concealer. Ugh! So, back to the review...
- The wand is nice on this product.
- The brush separates lashes nicely. But, be careful, too many coats makes your lashes look spidery.
- After 2 coats I see a nice lengthening effect (not 80% longer, but definitely lengthened)
- Nice color. I tested the Extreme black...and yes, it is extremely black.
- You get good separation with the brush. I found no need to go back and comb my lashes.
- If you catch this on sale and have a coupon...you can get this for *very* inexpensive. I believe I paid less than $5, but it retails around $9 at my Walgreens.
- No, I did not notice any increase in lash growth, nor lash thickness.
- This mascara did not volumize my lashes.
- This formula is VERY wet. It takes a long time to dry and during that time you risk transferring your mascara to your lids or under eye. Give yourself a good few minutes to dry. But, over time the formula dries out to a better consistency (IMHO)
- This mascara smudge under my eyes throughout the day. This is the kicker for me. I just cant wear mascara that smudges! And, so many brands do this on me. To me, the whole point of carefully applied makeup (including under eye concealer) is all for not when you get mascara smudges and need to wipe those away.
What do you readers think? Is this product working for any of you out there? Have you tried any other "growth" mascaras? I have already purchased the L'Oreal Lash Serum which I will start testing tonight (yay!)...I just wanted to test the Rimmel mascara first to see if a lash-growing mascara would work.
Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for a L'Oreal Lash Serum review sometime in the future! But, I will likely test that for at least a month before posting a review. I have some high hopes on this one as I do hear that it is effective (crossing all fingers and toes!). In the meantime, for mascara, I am going to stick to my Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion. :)